Thursday 6 January 2011

Falla v Nishikori



There are not many matches I am around for due to work but wanted to have a look and maybe get involved in this. I am a big fan of Nishikori and think if he can stay fit he can become a very good player, especially with Gilbert helping out on the coaching side.

When I saw Falla a set up and Nishikori was @ EVS I wanted to initially wait and see how he was playing. I looked at the stats and they were not too different among the points won on serve etc except Nishikori had had many more BP opportunities and being a good fighter would sure get more.

I backed Nishikori and he duly broke that game (touch of luck) and then took the set. I was thinking about greening out at around 1.4-1.45 but then in the first game of the third set it kicked off!

Falla should have been 40-15 but the umpire called it 30-30. A bit of an argument ensured, Falla hit a ball out of the court in frustration. He was then broken right away. Fall was fuming, smashing his racket to pieces before Nishikori held easily in the second game.

Falla had then given up completely, making no effort at all to keep the ball in play and had basically given up. I greened out after Nishikori starting making lots of errors, lots of double faults so I thought better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment