Saturday 21 August 2010

Nadal Hopes To Improve...

Spaniard Rafael Nadal says he must find form quickly ahead of the US Open after losing to Marcos Baghdatis at the Cincinnati Masters.

The world No.1 made 41 unforced errors which was indicative of the touch the eight-time Grand Slam winner was in during his quarter-final.

The US Open is the only major to have eluded Nadal, and he admitted he would need to lift his game significantly to progress into the second week at Flushing Meadows.

"My game can improve, that's for sure. It must improve if I really want to have chances to have some opportunity in a week or so in New York," Nadal said after his 6-4 4-6 6-4 loss to Baghdatis.

"I have one week to keep working, keep practicing hard and that's what I am going to try - to keep improving my confidence with the backhand."

The 24-year-old said his backhand was causing him troubles, and may be a slight chink in his armour, but while Nadal admitted he had the problem, he also backed himself to use his two-hander better in the coming weeks.

"If my backhand improves, all my game will improve. My movement is going to improve a lot because I won't have to cover the backhand with the forehand and so I will cover positions better on the court," he said.

"I will also be able to make my first serve more calmly because if I miss the serve and he has a return then it will be no problem to play with the backhand."

"But, here, when he (Baghdatis) had a good return to the backhand, I always started the point in a very bad position ... So I think the backhand changed all my game, because I had to make too many adjustments to save that shot."

"But I started to play the backhand with more confidence which is a positive for me."

Baghdatis now meets Roger Federer in the semi-final at Cincinnati, while Andy Roddick takes on Mardy Fish in an all-American semi on Saturday.

The US Open starts on August 30.

=====================================



Baggy turning over Nadal wasn't a selection and as this is mostly favourites I'm happy to avoid that one! Another profit for the day, pushing the bank closer to the £300 mark where the balance now stands at £293.43. There may be a selection for all 4 matches today, but one match may not qualify, I have to check the stats later on when I place the bets.

No comments:

Post a Comment