Tuesday 10 August 2010

Nadal, Djokovic lose doubles match...

From Supersport...

The world's top two players, Spain's Rafael Nadal and Serbian Novak Djokovic, slumped to a shock loss in their Toronto Masters first round doubles match to a pair of wildcard Canadians.

Nadal and Djokovic took the first set 7-5 against the unheralded duo of Vasek Pospisil and Milos Raonic, but then lost the next two sets, 6-3, 10-8.

Not since Jimmy Connors was ranked first and Arthur Ashe second when they played together 34 years ago have the top two singles players joined forces in doubles.

But the dream doubles team here did not produce the goods, the 20-year-old Pospisil and Raonic, 19, winning the final three games of the second set, and immediately gained control in the match tie-break by rolling out to a 4-0 lead.

They earned four match points at 9-5, and after seeing Djokovic and Nadal erase three of those opportunities, finally succeeded in closing out the win in one hour and 34 minutes.

Pospisil and Raonic will next face Wimbledon champions and number five seeds Jurgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner.

====================================



A loss yesterday but that was the case earlier in the year with losing days in the early rounds. A few rain delays but in the end all but one match was finished with the Petz match rolled over to today as a selection.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rod, great work on doubling your bank in a month, that's awesome! You should be careful to check that all your bets are profitale though and that it's not just the chase bets that are doing the job for you. You seem to make a loss lots of days, so maybe you'll soon be able to identify which of your bets are not profitable (or less profitable than others).

    Basically what I'm saying is to consider not bothering with the level 1 bets. It seems that level 2+ bets are better value. Is that true?

    tsonga

    P.S. did you get banned from the betfair forum ? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Tsonga, someone else mentioned a similar thing about just doing the later bets (as these win more often) but it would be very few selections.

    Looking at doing stage 2/3 bets only I don't think would be as profitable as there are many winning stage 1 bets that often cover any losses on a day when stage 2/3 bets lose.

    The losing days come mostly when there are several stage 2 or a couple of stage 3 bets that lose on the same day but this is then either recovered in the next few days usually or broken down to be recovered over a longer period.
    It would also mean A LOT more work keeping track of when to start betting as I would be keeping track of lots of matches that I would not be getting involved in and I often update my spreadsheet by just looking at my p/l.

    And yes, I did get a ban. :) It's only a month but I may just stay away now anyway. I realised yesterday that I am not missing out on anything because the decent posters you can count on one hand and the proper discussions are drowned out with abuse and insults (myself guilty of it too).

    I may come back just for the tipping comps but since I have been using this system and not watching as much tennis I have fallen away on that and the WTA where I was top overall is only done for Slams, The USO of which I'll miss too! ha ha.

    How is your site coming along now mate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know what your R.O.I. is of your bets from each particular category (stage 1,2,3 etc)? That would really be useful in deciding whether they are worthwhile.

    I guess at the moment it's fine to do the stage 1 bets with small stakes, but if over time you notice they don't offer enough value, I would scrap them, even if that means more work. After all why bother with a bet that might be good value when you can bet on something (with higher stakes) that is definitely good value?

    I had another losing tip yesterday with Petrova. She obviously had an injury concern but was happy to go on court and basically let her opponent win! So frustrating!

    A few weeks ago I was doing great and my strength was my ability to avoid losing bets. There have already been two losses in August and some punters are not too happy - losing 1.2 shots never look good! But I've still got about 13% ROI since I've been sending out tips, so nothing major to worry about. The business itself will be a success as long as the tips are successful over several months/years. For now we're not really making any money, just building up a potential client-base.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have that info in my stats. All I keep really is the total won/to chase for each sequence as each sequence that I am doing is noted down separately.

    If you mean as in paper trade the stage 1 bets but start with real money on stage 2 bets then I will look at that.

    I'm not too sure off the top of my head if that would be better as although I would not be losing money on the first bets there would be a large amount of winning bets (stage 1) that I would have paper traded, and these usually cover the losing bets for stage 1.

    I may start to note down the strike rate of stage 1 bets to see if this will work.

    Glad to hear you're still doing well and like you say, a losing 1.2 shot never looks good but as long as it's up overall you can't really complain.

    ReplyDelete