Sunday 1 August 2010

Is Azarenka One To Watch For US Open?

From Emirates247.com

Victoria Azarenka celebrated her birthday week with a giant-killing run to win the Stanford Classic and firm as a US Open contender.

The Belarusian, who turned 21 on Saturday, knocked off holder Marion Bartoli of France in the quarter-finals, world number five Samantha Stosur of Australia in the semi-finals and three-times grand slam champion Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-1 in the final.

Having reached a career-high world number six last year after trouncing Serena Williams to win in Miami, she had struggled this season after tearing her hamstring at Marbella in April.

Three hard weeks of training after her shock loss to Petra Kvitova at Wimbledon appears to have made the former junior number one quicker and stronger, however, ahead of a tilt at Flushing Meadows at the end of the month.

"She has the determination back because there are no problems with the body. That gives her some extra confidence," her coach Sam Sumyk said.
Sharapova came into the match with a 2-1 record against Azarenka, and was struck by how consistent the powerful 21-year-old was off the ground and how she wasn't afraid to step into her returns.

"She gets a lot of balls back, her ball is really heavy and there's no doubt she's great player," Sharapova said. "She's been in the top 10 and has had great wins in her career already. "She always tough to play."

Regarded as one of the tour's more petulant players, Azarenka said she had matured in the past year and was not only focusing on improving her technical game, but her match-management.

"I've try to change my game some, not to be in so many of the same patterns all the time," she said.
"I can see the court more clearly. The most important thing is to be thinking on the court. Now I'm one year older and one year wiser."

A grand slam quarter-finalist three times, Azarenka stopped short of describing herself as a favorite for the U.S. Open, but said she feared no opponent.
"I always have to be positive and believe in myself ... Obviously I'd like to win every single match this summer, but my plan is to just work hard, have no regrets and give 110 per cent."


===================================



I managed to catch the first set and a bit of Murray/Querrey and was shocked to find out that he lost from a set up. I thought if Querrey would win it would have been in two on a Murray off day and after Murray broke back at the end of the first set I thought he would walk it.

Fair play to Querrey though, he came back to win, was it though his hard work or Murray being a mug? I don't know but I can say I am happy as I was chasing on the tipping comp and had Querrey for the final.

A mixed day for the system but still ended with a little profit taking the bank up to £182.38 so happy with that. Although the stats research for the system included qualifying rounds they never seem to go to well when it comes to them but I will stick with them as I am not going though all the results again to see how bigger difference it will make as I don't think it will be great.

Lot's of them don't qualify as selections and including them looked worth it in the research.

No comments:

Post a Comment