Tuesday 7 September 2010

Mats Wilander Q&A...

By Vicky Hodges, Telegraph.

Juan Martin Del Potro beat Rafael Nadal and then Roger Federer to win last year’s US Open. Can you see another player outside the world top four repeating the feat this year?

I think the only one that could do that would be Robin Soderling. He has been in two finals already, and he has beaten Nadal on clay, he has also threatened Federer last year at Wimbledon and the US Open in the past. So despite him being outside the top four I think he’s the only one that could actually win it.

Are you surprised Andy Murray is yet to win a maiden grand slam?

I’m not surprised at all, he’s not good enough to win a grand slam yet at least what he’s shown so far he’s not good enough. He is improving but he’s not anywhere near to being the finished product and he’s not anywhere close to being as good as he can become, and he’s not close to being the player he will become either - that’s my point of view. He will become a better player every year he plays as long as he can stay motivated.

Federer believes he still has a few more grand slam titles in him. Would you bet against him?

I think he has more titles still in him, as long as he’s willing to change his game slightly which he’s doing right now, trying to be more aggressive and shorten the points. As long as he’s open to the idea of evolution in his game then definitely, he knows he’s not perfect and it’s all about the process of change.

Do you think the women’s game gets an unfair press? How can it be strengthened further to draw the viewers/spectators?

I think the women’s game is stuck in a position whereby we need a couple more players that need to step up their game, the bar has been raised very high by the Williams sisters and I think that there are some players such as Kuzetsova and Sharapova who need to up their game and challenge the Williams sisters, then I think the ball can start rolling again in the women’s game again. I think players are relying too much on maintaining their game instead of focusing on improvement. Take Nadal he’s won eight majors and he’s by no means the finished product and will continue to improve. Your game stalls when you assume you’re the finished product.

Do you still hit every ball when you’re watching the games from inside the TV studio?

Yes I hit every ball, absolutely. Every ball, it makes for a very tiring watch!

Any on-air gaffes you’d care to forget but are willing to share with us?


I’m never really aware of mistakes I’ve made when I’m commentating or on TV, I’m sure they happen sometimes and I guess it makes for a more interesting experience!

If you could turn back the clock would you change anything about your tennis career?

No absolutely not, I don’t have any regrets about anything I’ve done in my life I learn from my mistakes and without mistakes I wouldn’t be where I am today.

How do you think you would’ve fared against Federer/Nadal in your prime?

All I can say his thank god I’m not 25 years old!

What’s been your tennis highlight of 2010?

The match between Soderling and Federer in the quarter-finals of the French Open. It was a brilliant match very attractive for both the viewers and commentary. Federer saying that he was happy to lose like that, admitting he was beaten by the better man on the day, and that he couldn’t play any better. It was a memorable moment. I think these are defining moments for Federer and of 2010.

================================



A loss with the first bet of the day and a feeling of another big losing day came over me. Luckily the other bets were all winners so it finished with a minimal profit for the day.

I still think it will take beyond this week to claw back recent losses purely because of the low amount of matches but I'll try and see if I can find a match that matches criteria for a later stage bet and if I'm confident enough then I'll go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment